Vision and Description for the Pastor at
Covenant Baptist United Church of Christ (CBUCC)
CBUCC is seeking a full-time Pastor to fill the vacancy left by the retirement of our two co-equal pastors who served this congregation for 32 years. We are seeking a warm and caring Pastor of deep faith who will continue our legacy of a progressive ministry that is both priestly and prophetic, and who will bring the word of God to our church family and community in a thoughtful way that inspires us and others to reach our full potential. We are currently served by an Interim Pastor until we hire a settled Pastor.
The overall focus of the church is reflected in the following Vision Statement: “Affirming our African heritage, our vision is to build an inclusive body of biblical believers who continue to grow in Christ as we love, serve, and fellowship with the community and each other.” We desire a Pastor who will:
- Provide spiritual leadership and guidance to the congregation of CBUCC as we prepare to write the next chapter of our church history.
- Seek and welcome a community that is inclusive of ALL people, including but not limited to conventional Christians of all races and ages; believers and agnostics; women and men; those of all sexual orientations and sexual identities; and those of all classes and abilities.
- Establish a ministry that bridges the gap between faith and culture/biblical doctrine and everyday life/theology and societal discourse.
- Help the congregation develop a deeper spiritual relationship with God.
- Work with CBUCC leadership in identifying church programming opportunities and activities that will strengthen and deepen relationships among members and with the community.
- Lead the church in running the day-to-day activities and work with church officials to govern church activities in accordance with the Constitution and By-laws of CBUCC.
Negotiable, Housing allowance, Generous benefits package.
Founded in 1945, as an all-white Southern Baptist Church, Covenant Baptist UCC (formerly Covenant Baptist Church) has a unique history of steadfast service and commitment to a constantly changing community. CBUCC is a well-established, predominantly African American, progressive, radically inclusive, open and affirming congregation that is committed to social justice and the beloved community. The church, with an approximate membership of 314, is located in the far southwest section of Washington, D.C. Covenant is often referred to as “the Miracle on South Capitol Street.” During this pastoral transition, our vision is that “The Miracle Continues, Becoming Ten Times Better.”
Church Background and Ministry
In 1985, Rev. Dr. Dennis W. Wiley was called as the sixth pastor of Covenant Baptist Church and Rev. Dr. Christine Y. Wiley was appointed as the Assistant Pastor. In 2004, when Drs. Dennis and Christine Wiley were called by the congregation to serve together as co-equal pastors, this bold and unprecedented step made Covenant the first black Baptist congregation in the Washington metropolitan area to call a husband and wife team to serve together as pastors, sharing equal authority, equal responsibility, and equal compensation. Drs. Wiley retired on October 31, 2017 after 32 years of pastoral leadership.
Covenant Baptist UCC's extensive ministries are divided into the following five major categories:
- The Ministry of Nurture provides spiritual, emotional, psychological, nutritional, and recreational support.
- The Ministry of Stewardship provides guidance and direction to the church body in the effective and responsible management of time, talent, and treasures.
- The Ministry of Evangelism & Outreach provides means of communicating the gospel of Jesus Christ beyond the walls of the church through word and deed.
- The Ministry of Christian Education is defined broadly to include any information or experience that enhances one's knowledge of God, self, or others, or that helps one to realize one's full potential as a human being and a child of God.
- The Ministry of Worship & Intercession provides assistance to the pastors in the development of a meaningful, creative, and appropriate worship, prayer, and praise experience for the entire congregation.
Current staffing includes the following: An Interim Pastor who will step down once we hire a Pastor, a Church Administrator/Executive Assistant to the Pastors, a Minister of Music, an Assistant Minister of Music, and numerous volunteers that include a talented Ministerial Team of ordained ministers.
- Lead and preach worship services.
- Administer church business and oversee church staff.
- Lead and direct ministerial team.
- Work with the CBUCC Advisory Council and church ministries.
- Approve the weekly worship plans.
- Conduct and/or oversee pastoral care activities as needed including, but not limited to, visiting the sick and shut-in, comforting families of the bereaved, spiritual counseling, etc.
- Conduct Bible Study at least weekly and oversee other Bible study programs.
- Officiate at baptisms, communions, weddings, and funerals as scheduled and/or required.
- Provide counseling to church members and others on an as needed basis.
- Be a social-activist for the community.
The Pastor will be accountable to the Trustee Ministry and Diaconate Ministry as discussed in our Church Constitution and By-laws and ultimately to the congregation for the successful implementation of all duties and responsibilities.
Minimum Qualifications to be Considered for this Position
- A nationally ordained minister with a Master’s degree in Divinity from an accredited university.
- At least three to five years of pastoral experience either as a member of a ministerial staff/served as congregational pastor.
- Experience in speaking, preaching and teaching
- Experience in supervising staff, either paid or volunteer, who have varying levels of capacity
- Belief in a radically inclusive theology and social justice
- Experience with computer software programs
- Excellent written communication skills
Preferred Skills and Experience
Demonstrated knowledge or formal training in the following areas are highly preferred:
- An ability to lead in a congregational environment where the Church membership is the final authority on all matters
- Excellent verbal and interpersonal skills
- A courteous, compassionate and respectful demeanor
- Nonprofit management
- Fundraising and stewardship
- Leadership cultivation and development
- Change Management
- Creativity and imagination in growing a multigenerational membership
- Familiarity with social media outreach is a plus
How to Apply
If you are interested in becoming the future pastor of CBUCC, please apply. All applicants must send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. To be considered, applicants must include a cover letter that specifically addresses how they meet the minimal qualifications for this position. The details of those qualifications must be provided in your resume. All UCC ministers should visit our Ministry Opportunity in order to apply via UCC channels. All submissions must be received by December 31, 2018.
Only applicants who meet the minimum requirements will be considered. Semi-finalists will be asked to interview with the CBUCC Search and Call Team in person or by video conference as well as provide 3 references and links/recordings to sermons.
Finalist will be asked to visit CBUCC for a candidating weekend.
Successful completion of a national background investigation involving criminal, credit, fingerprinting, drug testing, employment history and reference checks is required before commencing employment at CBUCC. Please view the attached church profile for detailed information on our church, including congregational and community demographics, educational programs, and ministerial staff.